I have covered this subject a little in the past but if you are like my wife, you can use all the help you can get. March Break is coming soon and many of the Covid Restricitons have been lifted. For the first time in 3 years many families will be travelling. Every time we get ready to travel my wife says " That's it. I am packing light and not taking anything more than I have to." Each time she admits she could have packed a little lighter. Me, I am easy. for summer vacations all I need is a pair of shorts, some nice white collared shirts, a bathing suit, sandals and one dress outfit to go out for dinner. Remember if you go out to dinner or sightseeing, chances are you will not see the same people every time. Women, however, often feel they have to have 7 outfits for 7 days. Fabrics today, I am told, can be light, easily packed without requiring ironing and mix and match, making a women's choices much easier. Tissue paper between items of clothing is a good way to avoid ironing.
How's that for fashion advice, ladies? My wife is helping me.
Here are a few tips:
1) If you are flying, try to get away with only a carry on and bring a cloth bag or use your summer beach bag for purchases you will make on the trip. You are allowed one personal item and a carry on with most airlines. Some are now charging for the carry -on so be sure to check the individual airline charges.Also, check for their size and weight restrictions. Most allow a carry on that will fit into the overhead bin.Your personal item has to fit under the seat and is usually free. This can include a computer case or a purse. My wife puts her small purse in her larger personal item with purchases from the trip and this should fit under the seat.
2) If you plan to 'shop 'til you drop', bring a small empty suitcase with you. You will have to pay but it beats stuffing your carry on or having to buy an extra suitcase to come home..
3) If you are visiting different locations for different reasons ie: business, leisure, pack your suitcase in compartments. Use plastic bags or different compartments for different activities to avoid packing and repacking suitcases.
4) If you are travelling as a couple and both have checked bags on a flight, split your clothing, enough for each of you to get you through. If one suitcase is lost, you can both function.
5) I have said this before, but carry your coat or jacket on the plane with you. A woman is smart to pack a pashmina in her tote if she gets chilly on the plane or in the car. It will double as a shawl for dinner as restaurants can be cold with air conditioning in warm climates.
6) Always pack healthy snacks in the car or in your tote for the plane ride.
( My wife's personal item is good for these as well as books to read.)
. Most airlines do not give out snacks. Airport food is very expensive and not healthy most of the time. If you have bring snack with you, it saves stopping at a kiosk in the airport and the added expense, especially if you have children with you.
.7) Pack ear plugs and maybe a sleep mask. If you are on an early flight or a night flight, this will help you rest and feel refreshed when you arrive at your destination.
8)Bring gum if you have small children on a flight. It often stops their ears from hurting with the pressure change in a plane ride.
9) Use plastic zip lock bags for your cosmetics. They often take less space than specially designed cosmetic bags which may add weight.
10) Make photocopies of your passports. Take pictures of your car in the airport parking lot, your luggage and its contents in case it gets lost.
11) Leave an itinerary with a family member or friend in case you have to be reached.
Now, have fun. Chill out and enjoy your vacation! March Break is almost here and many families are hitting the airports and the highways and heading south for some warm sunshine.